A rich pecan pie enhanced with delicious chocolate chips.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup treacle
- 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
- 4 tblsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- choc covered espresso beans (optional)
- for the whole wheat crust:
- 5 oz bread flour
- 3 oz wholemeal flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 oz of unsalted butter
- 1 oz of lard
- 1 egg
- 20mls cold water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Beat eggs in bowl until yolks and whites are blended. Add corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, molasses and choc chips. Blend well.
- Put pie shell of rolled out dough into pie dish and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Stir pecan halves into syrup mixture and pour into pie shell.
- Bake 15 min then reduce heat to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Continue 15-20 min just until edges are set. A little quiver in the center of the pie will tell you to remove it from oven.
- For The Whole Wheat Crust
- Use hand mixer for this pastry. Blend the flours, salt, butter and lard together on low speed using a dough hook.
- Separate eggs and combine egg yolk, water and lemon juice.
- Add to mixture. Blend until mixture forms a dough. Do not over mix.
- Wrap dough in cling film and allow to set in fridge for 2 hours.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones