Make this tasty vanilla based desert, which is sure to have your guest calling for seconds!
- 500 ml fresh full-fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 125 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Split the vanilla pod in two lengthways. Put it in a saucepan with the milk and the cream. Bring to the boil but don’t allow to boil!
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they are pale and have doubled in volume.
- Pour the hot milk onto the egg yolks, stirring all the time.
- Then pour the custard back into the saucepan and put it back on a fairly brisk heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, and when you feel resistance to it from the thickening custard, and a trace made with your finger on the back of the spoon stays put, whip the saucepan off the heat, still stirring.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly before serving, or cool it right down in the fridge and eat it cold. I leave the vanilla pod in until I’m serving the custard, scraping out the little black beans at the last minute with the blade of a knife.
Trish's tip: Make the custard even thicker by using half single cream, half milk. Make vanilla ice cream by churning the custard in an ice cream maker. Add 50g more sugar to the recipe in this case.
More by Trish Deseine:
- Black Pudding & Apple Tart: Trish Deseine, Today
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb