Kevin Dundon rustles up some fancy dishes for Christmas day
- 400 g smoked coley
- 2 eggs
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 freshly snipped chives
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 quantity of hollandaise sauce
- hollandaise sauce:
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- 100 g butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 small shallot (very finely diced)
- Peel, Boil and mash the potatoes as you would normally using a little butter and cream.
- Mix in some wholegrain mustard and some chives. Season and retain until required. Meanwhile heat a large saucepan of boiling water.
- Crack in two eggs and allow to poach in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes until softly poached.
- Remove the poached eggs and allow to rest. Reboil the water and add In the smoked fish and leave to cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the fish on top of the potato and then add the poached egg to the top drizzled with the creamy hollandaise.
- Hollandaise sauce:
- Have a pot of water simmering on the cooker. In a separate bowl infuse the chopped shallot with the white wine vinegar and place over the heat for a minute or two.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk continuously until the colour lightens and the mixture thickens-it should take about 5 minutes.
- You need to keep whisking the mixture and taking it on and off the heat as required so as to prevent scrambling.
- At this stage slowly add in the melted butter-at all times whisking continuously.
- Taste the sauce, correct the seasoning and add in some freshly chopped tarragon to taste.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a china teapot or Pyrex jug set in simmering water.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show