An original jam which adds great flavour to a meal
- 350 g red onions
- 25 g butter
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 floz red wine
- 1 floz red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 dsp agave syrup (or barley malt, or brown rice syrup or honey)
- sea salt
- milled black pepper
- Peel the onions, halve and silce in 1/4 inch slices. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy based pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and the thyme and allow to soften for 10 minutes. Add the red wine, wine vinegar and bring the mix to a gently simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a lid on top and cook on a low heat for 45 / 50 minutes stirring occasionally. The liquid should have almost disappeared.
- Check the seasoning and serve.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers