A tempting dessert from Neven Maguire.
- for the base:
- 75 g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 250 g ginger nut biscuits (crushed)
- for the filling:
- 4 gelatine leaves
- 175 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half and seeds removed)
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 x 250g tubs mascarpone cheese
- finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 150 ml thick greek yoghurt
- for the topping:
- 2 gelatines leaves
- 400 g can mango slices in syrup (drained)
- To make the base, lightly butter a 23cm (9 in) spring-form cake tin. Melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat or in a bowl in the microwave. Add the crushed ginger nut biscuits and mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the tin, pressing down with the back of a spoon to flatten. Place in fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes or up to 24 hours is fine.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Soak the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Place the milk in a pan and add the vanilla seeds, whisking to combine. Cook until it just reaches boiling point, but do not allow to boil. Gently squeeze the gelatine dry and add to the pan with the sugar, whisking until dissolved. Pour into a large bowl and leave to cool a little.
- Beat the mascarpone cheese into the cooled milk mixture with the lemon rind and juice, then stir in the yoghurt. Pour into the set biscuit base and chill for at least 1 hour until set or up until 24 hours is fine.
- To make the topping, soak the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Place the mango slices in a food processor and blend until smooth. Heat one tablespoon of water in a small pan or in the microwave. Gently squeeze the gelatine dry and stir into the hot water until dissolved. Add the mango puree and pour over the set cheesecake filling, spreading evenly with the back of a spoon. Chill for another 2-3 hours until completely set or up to 24 hours is fine.
- To serve, remove the cheesecake from the tin and transfer to a serving plate. Cut into slices and arrange on plates to serve.
Neven Maguire's 'Neven's Food from the Sun', published by Collins, is in bookshops now.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show