A delicious light lunch from Neven Maguire.
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 3 spanish onions (thinly sliced)
- 175 g piece pancetta (cut into small lardons)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 8 large eggs (beaten)
- 50g (2oz) freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lightly dressed green salad, to serve
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil and the butter in a large sauté or frying pan. Add the onions and start by cooking over a fairly high heat, stirring constantly until they begin to soften but not brown, then reduce the heat and continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently so the onions do not stick or brown. They will need about 30 minutes in total to caramelise.
- Stir the pancetta into the onion mixture with the thyme and garlic 5 minutes before the end of cooking time and continue to cook until the pancetta has begun is sizzle and crisp up. Tip into a large bowl and leave to cool for at least 5 minutes. Season generously.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Add the eggs, Parmesan and sage to the onions and stir well to combine - you should have 1.2 litres (2 pints) of mixture in total. Heat the remaining oil in an ovenproof heavy-based pan, that is about 23cm (9in), in diameter and deep enough to take the mixture.
- Swirl to coat the sides of the pan evenly, then pour in the egg mixture and cook for 6-8 minutes over a low heat to set the bottom and sides.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until just set, puffed up and lightly golden. Loosen the sides with a palette knife and cut the frittata into wedges and serve warm or cold, straight from the pan. Have a separate bowl of the salad on the table and allow guests to help themselves.
Neven Maguire's 'Neven's Food from the Sun', published by Collins, is in bookshops now.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Neven's Blue Cheese, Red Onion & Rosemary Focaccia
- Today: Neven Maguire's Snacks for Toddlers
- Neven's Flourless Orange and Almond Cake