A winning combination from Aldi's Garth McColgan!
- 1 pack irish pork sausages
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 pack frozen mashed potatoes
- 2 tblsp plain flour
- few sprigs of thyme
- 500 ml beef stock
- Bake the sausages in the oven at 200°C, for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes as per pack instructions.
- Fry the sliced onions in a little oil over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the pan’s heat up, cooking for a further 2 minutes without stirring; add the glass of red wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat back down to medium. Stir in 2 tbsp plain flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the thyme, then the beef stock (gradually) until it’s all used up.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes. The gravy’s now ready.
- Sink the sausages into the mash and pour over the onion gravy.
- Chef’s Tip: Spread a very thin layer of mashed potato across a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Break into little pieces and sprinkle over the sausages and mash. You might also want to grate some white cheddar cheese on top.
Created by Garth McColgan for Aldi.
More by Garth McColgan:
- Latino Chilli Wraps with Guacamole
- Easter Cupcake Delights
- Irish Angus Burgers with Red Onion Marmalade