Try this yummy pud with layers of bread, cream and butter from Aldi's Garth McColgan.
- 8 slices of stale white bread buttered
- juice of 1 orange and zest of ½ orange
- 100 ml boiling water
- 75 g raisins
- 250 ml milk
- 100 ml cream
- 70 g caster sugar
- 3 irish eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- to serve, vanilla ice cream and/or apricot conserve
- Soak the raisins in the orange juice, zest and boiling water for ½ hour and strain.
- Butter a baking dish and cut the buttered bread slices into triangles and lay them on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle on half the raisins and follow with the rest of the bread. Finish with a sprinkle of the remaining raisins.
- In a bowl, mix the milk, cream and sugar together. Add in the lightly beaten eggs and mix again.
- Gently pour the mixture over bread and raisins and sprinkle the nutmeg over the top.
- Bake in an oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream and a spoon of apricot conserve.
- Chef's Tip: For a softer pudding leave the pudding to soak for 30 minutes before putting in the oven.
Created by Garth McColgan for Aldi.
More by Garth McColgan:
- Latino Chilli Wraps with Guacamole
- Easter Cupcake Delights
- Irish Angus Burgers with Red Onion Marmalade