- mackerel fillets (pin-boned and cut in two)
- 1 tblsp spices or curry powder
- 2 sheets of brick pastry or filo pastry
- 40 g melted butter
- 1 tblsp chopped dill
- juice of half lemon
- for the pickled vegetables:
- 8 peeled baby carrots
- 8 pearl or baby onions
- 4 baby fennell (or 1 large cut into 4)
- 1/2 cucumber (de-seeded and diced)
- 1 table spoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup good quality white wine vinegar.
- 1 tblsp whole star anise
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white wine
- Cut sheets in half and brush one side with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the Mackerel with the spices, lemon juice and dill.
- Place mackerel on pastry sheets, buttered side up, and roll.
- Brown on moderately hot pan in a little vegetable oil.
- Brown on both sides for 2/3 minutes and place on paper towel.
- Method Pickled Vegetables:
- In a sauce pot add the sugar, wine, vinegar, star anise bay leaves and fennel seeds. Bring to a simmer.
- Season. (If it is too tart add more sugar or too sugar – add more vinegar).
- Add onions, fennel and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cucumber and season.
- Remove from Heat.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say