- 340 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 680 g caster (superfine) sugar
- 540 g 70% cocoa dark (bittersweet) chocolate (melted)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 g plain (all –purpose) flour
- 150 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 100 g whole hazelnuts, chopped
- 100 g flakes (slivered) almonds
- Soften the butter in a bowl with a spatula, and add the sugar and melted chocolate. Slowly beat in the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and fold into the wet mixture.
- Add the nuts and pour into a lightly greased 24cm (9 1/2 inch) square roasting tin. Bake on the middle shelf for 40 minutes.
- To test it is cooked, gently push a knife through the centre – it should come away clean. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Cut into 14 squares.