- 3 free range eggs
- 30 g sunflower margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon natural almond essence
- 75 ml organic maple syrup (with a little extra for brushing the baked cake)
- 60 g organic wholemeal spelt flour (fine wholemeal flour is good too)
- 150 g ground almonds
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- approx. 20 ml rice milk (any milk is suitable)
- 150 g raspberries (approx. 30/35)
- Set the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- 7in x 6in square baking tin, oiled and lined with greaseproof paper.
- In a large baking bowl whisk the eggs and margarine together until light and fluffy. Add the almond essence and maple syrup and beat well.
- Without mixing, place the flour, ground almonds and baking powder on top of the wet mixture and then mix well. Pour in the milk gradually to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Place the raspberries evenly into the cake batter allowing them to stick up.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire cooling tray. Brush with maple syrup before serving.
- Can also be baked in individual tins, or doubled up and baked in an 11 inch round cake tin.
Lorraine's tip: Poached pears and blackberries are very attractive baked in the larger cake.