- 12 spring onions (trimmed)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 oven ready chicken
- 75 g butter (at room temperature)
- 8 fresh sage leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 225 g swiss chard (thick stalks removed and roughly chopped)
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Arrange the spring onions in a roasting tin. Season generously and toss in half the olive oil until evenly coated.
- Loosen the skin around the neck of the Chicken and push under a little of the butter until evenly spread over the breast, then push a sage leaf down each side so that they are clearly visible.
- Arrange the poussins on the bed of spring onions and scatter over the garlic. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and season to taste.
- Roast for 75 minutes until the chicken is completely tender and golden brown. Leave to rest in a warm place for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining knob of butter in a pan and quickly sauté the chard for a minute or two until wilted. Season to taste and divide among warmed serving plates.
- Add some of the roasted spring onions to each one and sit a Chicken on top. Scatter over the sage leaves to garnish.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say