- 6 large egg yolks
- 85 g caster sugar
- 5 floz frangelico (hazelnut liquor)
- 10 floz double cream (semi-whipped)
- 75 g roasted hazelnuts (skinned and roughly chopped)
- 100 g 70% dark chocolate (melted)
- In a heatproof bowl mix egg yolks, sugar and Frangelico together.
- Fill a pot half full of water and place the bowl on top of it. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes whisking every few minutes.
- When it has thickened, remove from the heat and using an electric hand mixer, beat until the mixture has doubled in size and has cooled.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, fold in the cream and then fold in the hazelnuts.
- Line a 1 litre loaf tin with cling film or individual moulds and spoon in the mixture. Allow to freeze for 4 - 6 hours or overnight.
- To unmould the large parfait, dip the mould into warm water for a few seconds, then invert it onto a board and slightly soften at room temperature for 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with the praline.
- Ingredients for the Praline: 150g caster sugar, 3 tablespoons water, 50g hazelnuts skinned
- Put sugar and water in heavy based saucepan. Dissolve over low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until the sugar solution is clear.
- Increase the heat and cook syrup to a light caramel colour; this should take about 5 minutes. THIS IS EXTREMELY HOT AND GREAT CARE MUST BE TAKEN.
- Remove from heat and mix in hazelnuts and immediately turn out onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking parchment.
- Spread and allow to cool.
- Roughly break up praline by using a rolling pin - this can be left rough or else placed in a food processor for a finer powder.