- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 360 ml cooked sweet potato (mashed to a fine puree and cooked with skins on)
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teasp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 420 ml double cream
- 4 oz pecan nuts
- 1 egg white
- Roll out pastry to 1/8” thick.
- Lightly grease a 10” pie tin and line it with the pastry.
- Put into the fridge for 15 minutes and preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cover the pastry with baking parchment or tin foil and fill with dried rice or dried beans and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is cooked but not coloured.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pastry to cool completely before removing the tinfoil or baking parchment.
- Lightly beat the egg white and brush it over the cooked pastry.
- Place in a hot oven – 180°C for 5 minutes. Tip: the egg white seals the pastry and keeps it crisp
- Beat the eggs lightly and stir in the sweet potato puree.
- Mix together the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves then add these to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the cream and pour into the pastry case before placing the pecan nuts on top.
- Bake at 180°C for 40-50 minutes until the filling is firm around the edges
- Allow to cool and serve with whipped cream.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say