One of the mother sauces of French cuisine.
- 1 tsp chopped shallot
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 275 ml milk
- 2 tblsp cream
- salt and pepper to season
- Bring the milk to the boil with the shallot, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Infuse over a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed saucepan, add the flour and cook slowly for a minute.
- Strain the milk and add to the roux, stirring all the time.
- Bring slowly to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes, add the cream and the seasoning