Make a hot bacon and egg salad, the delicious French classic.
- 6 handfuls of fresh greens such as curly endives, chinese leaves or cos lettuce
- 175 g streaky bacon
- 2 slices country bread
- 2 garlic cloves (halved)
- 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- herb vinaigrette dressing
- Wash and trim the greens and tear them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the bacon into pieces about 2.5 x 5cm/1 x 2in and grill until crisp.
- Toast the bread then rub it lightly with the garlic on both sides and cut it into 2.5cm/1in strips.
- Bring a pan of water with the wine vinegar to a rolling boil.
- Break the eggs into a bowl then carefully slide them into the boiling water so that the bubbles shape the whites neatly.
- Poach gently for about 4 minutes so the whites are firm and the yolks still runny.
- Remove from the water and trim away any untidy bits of white.
- Arrange the greens in a salad bowl, add the bacon and croutons, pour over the vinaigrette and toss.
- Arrange the eggs on top, and serve.