Make a delicious custard base for ice cream.
- 250 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half)
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, scald the milk (bring to just under boiling point) with the vanilla pod over moderate heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover it and leave the milk to infuse for 20 minutes.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together with a wooden spoon until they're well mixed.
- Strain the milk onto the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place it over low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until the custard has thickened slightly and will coat the back of the spoon.
- Don't let the custard boil, or it will curdle.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the custard through a strainer into a bowl.
- Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- In another medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the cream with a wire whisk or rotary beater until it begins to thicken.
- Fold the cream into the cooled custard.
- Cover the bowl and put it into the fridge to chill.
- When the custard is cold, put it into an ice cream container and freeze.