This is a flavoursome way to prepare duck.
- 1.5 kg duck
- 1 jar of honey
- 1 bottle of hoi sin sauce
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 star aniseed
- sesame oil
- red food colouring
- Clean the duck and remove all giblets. Plunge it into boiling water for around one minute and then dry it completely with kitchen roll.
- Season the inside of the duck with salt, 5 spice powder and the two whole star aniseed.
- Mix a little honey with two drops of the red colouring and two tablespoons of boiling water. Use a pastry brush to cover the skin of the duck with this mixture.
- Leave the duck for 6-8 hours brushing it regularly with the mixture. When ready roast in an oven (preferably on a spit) at around 160 degrees for 90 minutes. The skin will form a crust and begin to come away from the flesh and at this point the bird is perfect.
- Remove from the oven: use the juices to form a sauce by mixing them with 3 tablespoons of Hoi Sin sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and a little hot water.
- To serve -remove the skin and slice in thin julienne: serve this with small crepes, scallions cut thinly lengthwise and Hoi Sin sauce on the side.
- Slice the rest of the flesh and serve with the sauce and rice and vegetables, if desired.
More by Eamon Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes