A tasty risotto for the whole family to enjoy.
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 250 g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 100 g spinach (destalk if the leaves are large)
- 950 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed or grated)
- salt and pepper
- 350 g risotto rice
- 150 ml white wine
- 100 g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 12 stalks of asparagus (ends trimmed and cut in half lengthways)
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof saucepan.
- Add the peas and spinach and cook, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes, until the spinach wilts.
- Add about 50ml of the stock and puree in a blender or food processor.
- Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and sweat over a gentle heat until soft but not coloured.
- Add the risotto rice and stir it around in the saucepan for a minute, then add the remaining stock and the wine.
- Stir and bring it up to the boil, cover with the lid and place in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is just cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the vegetable puree and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of water up to the boil; add a good pinch of salt and the asparagus.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes or until it is just tender, then drain.
- To serve:
- Serve the risotto into warm bowls with the asparagus arranged on top and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living published by Harper Collins
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking