A delicious sweet desert to cap off the perfect meal.
- 50 g butter
- 250 g brown sugar
- 350 g rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2cm chunks)
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger (heaped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized oven proof frying pan (measuring 25cm in diameter).
- Stir in half the sugar and cook over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb - there's no need to stir - remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- In a measuring jug or small bowl whisk the eggs and add the remaining brown sugar, the buttermilk, oil and ginger.
- Mix together, then pour into the dry ingredients and whisk to form a liquid batter.
- Pour this over the rhubarb in the pan and place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake feels firm in the centre.
- To serve
- Cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living published by Harper Collins
More by Rachel Allen:
- Milk Ice Cream: A little DIY, A lot of Taste
- Chocolate Meringue Cake: A serious picnic bonus
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen