A tasty mussels dish perfect for entertaining.
- 3 kg fresh mussels (scrubbed and picked cleaned)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (peeled and roughly sliced)
- 1 large white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly chopped tomatoes (canned tomatoes can substitute)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large tradition baguette
- In a large frying pan or shallow saucepan sauté the onions till they start to get soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic toss for 1 minute making sure that the garlic does not burn.
- Add the cleaned mussels and sauté, this will add a lot of shellfish flavor to the pan and the mussels will start to open and let their liqueur out.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce by 1/2.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and toss well.
- Once all the mussels have opened fully, season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve add the chopped parsley and toss.
- To serve
- Place all the contents in a large serving bowl or you can leave them in the same pan that you have cooked it in.
- While the mussels are cooking place the baguette in the oven at 200°C to get nice and toasted.
- Serve this with your mussels. Leave whole so the diners can just tear off themselves.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Vietnamese Fresh Summer Rolls and Sweet Birds Eye Chilli Dipping Sauce