Make delicious crab cakes with a home - made tartar sauce.
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 tblsp dijon mustard
- 2 tblsp crab boil seasoning (recommended: old bay)
- 1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 lb lump or backfin crabmeat
- 1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 slices white bread (crusts removed and torn into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (as needed)
- for the tartar sauce:
- 1 cup thick mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup gherkins (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup capers (roughly chopped)
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon tarragon (chopped)
- Whisk together the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Spread the crab meat on a flat surface and carefully remove any bits of shell.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss gently with the bread. Spoon the wet mix over the crabmeat and gently fold until just combined.
- Allow the mixture to rest in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into 12 even-sized cakes (approximately 4 ounces each).
- Chill the crab cakes for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight to firm up. (This will allow all the flavours to come together and intensify.)
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the crab cakes, turning once, until golden brown and heated through.
- For a healthier option the crab cakes can also be oven baked at 180°C (Gas 4) for 15 - 20 minutes
- Serve immediately.
- To make the tartare sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together combining thoroughly. Let stand for 1 hour or preferably over night.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Vietnamese Fresh Summer Rolls and Sweet Birds Eye Chilli Dipping Sauce