This tasty meal is perfect for a a night in for two.
- 2 (10oz) lamb steaks from the leg of lamb
- 2 cup cooked cannelini beans
- 4 links of merguez sausages (spicy sausage from north africa made from lamb)
- 4 cup julienne savoy cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Ask your butcher to cut 2 lamb steaks from a leg of lamb. Marinate the steak with the crushed garlic, rosemary, and half the lemon juice. Let stand for 2 -4 hours.
- Remove mint leaves from their stems and roughly chop. Combine with crème fraiche, remaining lemon juice, and salt and pepper. This can be done up to 2 days in advance.
- Heat a large sauté pan on med to high heat. Add oil to coat the pan. Add the diced sausage and sauté until done 4- 5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are caramelised. Add the beans, parsley, and cumin. Set aside keeping hot.
- Heat a griddle pan until it starts to smoke. Season the lamb steaks with salt and pepper and grill to the desired temperature.5 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- In another sauté pan heat up the butter until foamy. Add the cabbage being careful not to burn. Add a teaspoon of water to sweat the cabbage down and season with salt and pepper. Heat all ingredients through and serve when ready.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Vietnamese Fresh Summer Rolls and Sweet Birds Eye Chilli Dipping Sauce