A tasty and different breakfast to wake up to on Christmas morning.
- apple and cinnamon turnovers
- 1 pack of frozen puff pastry (thawed naturally)
- 4 apples
- 60 g sultanas
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g caster sugar
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 100 ml milk
- Peel the apples and chop into bite size pieces. Put into a pot with the sugar, a squeeze of lemon juice and about 3 dessertspoons of water and cook on a low heat until the apples have softened down.
- Mash the apples into a chunky mixture, mix in the cinnamon, the sultanas and allow to cool slightly as the heat of the apples could cause the pastry to melt and go out of shape.
- Roll out the puff pastry (if not pre-rolled) into squares. The size is really immaterial as this will just dictate the size of the turnover but we would recommend (5 inches X 5 inches), as a portion for one turnover.
- Dust the work surface with flour and place the square of puff pastry on the surface.
- Mix the egg and the milk together with a whisk to make up an egg wash and brush all around the sides of the pastry square with the egg wash.
- Put a spoon of the apple and cinnamon mixture into the centre of the pastry and fold into a triangle securing one corner on another.
- Using a fork dipped in flour press all the way around the edge of the pastry making sure that all of the edges are tight and secure.
- Make one or two incisions with the fork on the top of the turnover and brush the entire product with the egg wash.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops