Rachel Allen's recipe for an after-dinner treat.
- for the biscuits:
- 175 g self raising flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 75 g butter
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder or granules
- 1 tsp hot water
- 1 free range egg
- for the chocolate icing:
- 50 g butter (softened)
- 100 g icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix the coffee with the hot water, then add the egg and whisk together.
- Add this to the food processor and process until the dough comes together. (If making this by hand, rub the butter into the flour and sugar in a bowl, then add the coffee, water and egg mixture and bring together to a dough.)
- Dust the work surface with icing sugar and then roll out the dough until it is 5mm/¼ in thick and, using a 4cm/1½ in long heart-shaped cutter, cut out 50-60 heart shapes. (If the dough is a bit soft before shaping, chill it in the deep freeze for 10 minutes before using.)
- Place the hearts slightly spaced apart on two baking trays (no need to grease) and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and slightly firm at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and carefully lift off the tray with a metal slice while they are still very hot to prevent them sticking. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the chocolate icing, mix the soft butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl using a wooden spoon, or in the food processor, until it comes together.
- Use the icing to sandwich the cookies together. If you dip a table knife into hot water as you work, it helps to spread the icing. Store in a box for two or three days.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living published by Harper Collins
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking