Rachel Allen's recipe for a light but filling salad.
- 2 large or 4 small chicken breasts (skinned)
- 1 tblsp whole coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
- 2 large garlic cloves (peeled and crushed or grated)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- 225 g puy lentils
- 3 tblsp chopped fresh coriander (stalks and leaves)
- 100 g mixed salad leaves (such as rocket, baby beetroot, baby spinach and frisée)
- 100 g feta cheese (crumbled)
- dash of balsamic vinegar
- Using a sharp knife, make a few long shallow incisions on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add the ground coriander, garlic, a pinch of black pepper, two tablespoons of lemon juice and two tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix the marinade with the chicken in a bowl, making sure all the meat is evenly coated in the marinade. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes (or one hour if you have the time).
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F/Gas 8).
- When the oven is hot, spread the chicken out on a baking tray and cook it for 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts. To ensure the chicken is cooked through, cut into the breast with a knife. Once cooked, take the chicken out of the oven and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the still-warm lentils in a saucepan, cover with water and boil for about 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- When cooked, drain the lentils then dress them with the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and chopped coriander, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, slice the chicken thinly and toss with the lentils (they can be still warm) and the mixed salad leaves. Place on plates or in a large bowl and sprinkle with the crumbled feta and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living published by Harper Collins
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking