Rachel Allen shows you how to make a winter favourite.
- 75 g dried black turtle beans (or black-eyed beans)
- 75 g dried borlotti beans or kidney beans
- 75 g dried cannellini beans or haricot beans (or 2 x 400g of canned beans of your choice, rinsed and drained)
- 8 rashers smoked bacon (about 300g , sliced into lardons)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes (or 800g fresh tomatoes)
- 1.2 l chicken stock
- 225 g cabbage (preferably green, such as savoy, thinly sliced)
- 300 g smoked sausages (sliced into 5mm thick pieces)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If using dried beans, soak them in cold water for 5-6 hours or overnight, then drain, cover with fresh cold water and simmer for 35-40 minutes until they are cooked through.
- Gently fry the bacon in the olive oil in a flame proof casserole on a medium high heat for a few minutes until golden-brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds, then add the tomatoes and the stock and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the cooked, drained beans, then add the cabbage and sliced sausage and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Add the chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Today: Rachel Allen's Granny's Donuts
- Milk Ice Cream: A little DIY, A lot of Taste
- Chocolate Meringue Cake: A serious picnic bonus