A tasty Sushi dish to start.
- 240 g sushi rice
- 300 ml water
- 65 ml rice wine vinegar
- 3 tps sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash mirin
- piece konbu
- nori sheets
- wasabi paste
- 20 g salmon (in strips)
- soy sauce
- pickle ginger
- to accompany this a little wasabi:
- 100 ml mayo
- 2 tblsp soy
- 1 tblsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp wasabi
- a little water and squeeze lime juice
- Wash rice under running water till the water goes from cloudy to clear.
- Drain and leave 20 mins.
- Put water and rice in heavy pot with lid, over high heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 5-8 mins.
- Remove from heat and leave to stand for further 8 mins without removing lid.
- In a separate pot heat sugar, vinegar, salt, mirin and konbu till sugar has dissolved.
- Do not boil: This is the seasoning for the rice
- When rice is ready put into shallow tray, add vinegar mix and fold through the rice gently so you don't break rice grains.
- Classic accompaniments:
- Soy sauce
- Wasabi paste
- Pickled ginger all of which can be bought in Chinese market
- For the filling:
- Avocado cut in strips and marinade in oil and lemon
- Some very fresh salmon again in strips and some herb omelette with Dashi (Japanese stock)
- To roll the sushi:
- Take a bamboo mat, lay a sheet of nori seaweed on top
- Then place a line of rice to cover about half the sheet.
- Flatten with finger tips (tip: dip in vinegar water to stop rice sticking to them).
- Spread a small amount of wasabi, then lay a strip of salmon to one side of rice.
- Roll rice around salmon making sure the salmon is in the middle.
- Roll in cling after or slice and serve.
- Follow same procedure for other filling
- When serving, serve a little dish of pickle ginger some wasabi and soy sauce.
Thomas' tip: This does not have to be raw fish, you can use smoked salmon trimmings or a thing spear of asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon.
More by Thomas Haughton:
- Free Range Pot Roast Chicken with Crisp Chicken Skin Crackling, Thyme Roast Potatoes and Glazed Veg
- Bacon and Potato Cake with Cabbage Purée and Caper Mayonnaise
- Bacon and Confit Onion Ballotine with Gribiche Sauce and Potato Dumpling