A salad that can be made as a starter or as a main.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 head cos lettuce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50 g parmesan
- 100 ml olive oil
- tsp sugar
- 2 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 baguette
- herbs, chives, parsley
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tblsp mustard
- 200 g flour
- 100 g cornflour
- 1 egg white (whisked)
- 400 ml beer
- 2 breasts of chicken (poached)
- For stock add a piece of onion, carrot, celery, leek, thyme, garlic, rosemary and pinch of salt.
- Cook for 6-8 mins in simmered stock, leave to cool in the stock.
- After cooled dice in small pieces of chicken. Place in a bowl.
- Anchovy dressing:
- Place an egg yolk, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and cayenne in a blender and liquidize. Gradually add your sunflower oil, add a little hot water intermittently so dressing doesn't get to thick.
- Add 1/2 the anchovies and 50 mls olive oil, check seasoning, it may need a few drops of lemon juice.
- When finished add some of the dressing to the chicken, make sure your mix is not to wet.
- Place in small rings or make a quenelle with spoons.
- Wash your cos lettuce and dry, shred half and keep 4-5 nice leaves in a glass with anchovy dressing and other leaves sticking out of a shot glass
- Make tempura batter (combine all ingredients) and quickly cook remaining anchovy fillets in hot oil (180°c) after coating in tempura batter.
- Drain and place on top of shot glass.
- Cook the thinly sliced baguette in the oven 150°c-160°c with a little olive oil until crisp.
- Most of these things can be done the day before, except deep fried anchovy.
More by Thomas Haughton:
- Chicken Caesar Salad: Oldie, Good Foodie
- Free Range Pot Roast Chicken with Crisp Chicken Skin Crackling, Thyme Roast Potatoes and Glazed Veg
- Bacon and Potato Cake with Cabbage Purée and Caper Mayonnaise