One of Mary Wilson's main courses on the RTÉ One series 'The Restaurant'.
- 4 lamb shanks
- 10 shallots (peeled and halved)
- 1 celeriac (peeled and chopped)
- 3 carrots (trimmed and sliced)
- 3 celery sticks (trimmed and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 200 ml red wine
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 700 g new potatoes
- salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 170ºC (Gas 3).
- Place the shallots, carrots, celery and garlic in a large casserole pot.
- Place the lamb shanks on top of the vegetables and pour the red wine over them.
- Toss in the thyme and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook the lamb in a hot oven for least 2-3 hours, when ready the meat will come away from the bone easily.
- Remove the shanks from the pot and place on an oven tray and roast in the oven for another 10 minutes at 200ºC (Gas 6) to finish off.
- Meanwhile, strain the liquid from the roasting tray into a pot and place over a medium heat until the liquid reduces to a sauce consistency.
- Serve a lamb shank with a selection of the braised root vegetables and drizzle with the reduced cooking juices.