Enjoy this hearty dinner!
- 1 lb fillet of beef (well hung)
- chopped thyme
- olive oil
- Heat an ovenproof griddle pan until very hot. Season the beef fillet. Add the olive oil to the pan and then add the beef and brown well for 10 minutes on all sides until you have achieved a nice, thick crust. Remove from the heat and leave to stand in a warm place until the beef has relaxed. This will take at least 10 minutes, but you could leave the beef to stand for up to 2 hours, provided it is not in too hot a place.
- Roasted Root Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel your preferred vegetables and cut into large chunks.
- Put them into the roasting tray and drizzle with sunflower oil.
- Roast in the oven for up to 45 minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked.
- About 10 minutes prior to their completion remove from the oven and drizzle with the honey and return to the oven
- When the vegetables are cooked sprinkle with the chopped fresh herbs.
- Traditional Gravy
- Remove the meat from the pan and drain off any excess fats.
- Place the pan back on direct heat or the stove top and allow to sizzle a little.
- Sprinkle in the flour and using a whisk rub in the flour to assist you in removing all the sediment from the bottom of the pan.
- Gently whisk in the tomato puree, red wine and homemade stock.
- Allow the liquid to come to the boil.
- Sieve the sauce into a large saucepan and continue to boil and reduce rapidly for 10 minutes. After the ten minutes, add in some freshly chopped thyme.
- Correct the seasoning and set aside until you are ready to use it.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Fragrant Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
- Fish and Chips with Minted Peas: Kevin Dundon
- Fiery Fajitas with Salsa: Kevin Dundon