A top meal which can be made for under €10.
- for braised chicken legs:
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 carrots (cut into chunks)
- 8-10 mushrooms
- 1 leek (cut into thin strips)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 500 ml good quality chicken stock
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 chicken legs (cut into leg and thigh portions)
- salt and pepper
- for bubble and squeak:
- 4 large potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed)
- fresh parsley
- savoy cabbage (150g shredded)
- 2 dessertspoo plain flour
- To Assemble Casserole:
- In a large casserole pan fry the sliced onion until well browned.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, leek, carrots and chopped garlic.
- Next add in the wine and boil until reduced by half.
- Add the bay leaves, if using, and the chicken stock together with the Chicken pieces.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 1/4 hours.
- To Make Bubble and Squeak:
- Blanch the cabbage in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and run under cold water until cold and then dry it off well to remove excess water.
- Mix with the mashed potatoes chopped parsley and the flour.
- Mould into little potato cakes and shallow fry on a hot pan with a little oil until brown on either sides then finish off in a hot oven for a further 10 minutes.
- When the Chicken is cooked, take it and the vegetables out of the cooking liquor, discard the bay leaves and boil the liquor until it reduces and thickens slightly.
- Return the Chicken and vegetables to the sauce and serve on top of the bubble and squeak potato cakes.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops