A great winter warmer.
- splash sunflower oil
- 200 g boned lean pork shoulder (per person, rind removed and sliced in 3 inch slices)
- 500 ml red wine
- 200 ml olive oil
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 8 cloves peeled (crushed garlic)
- pinch mustard seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds
- few sprigs thyme
- 12 apricots
- 250 ml white wine
- 250 ml orange juice
- 500 ml chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté off the pork until golden brown in colour. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Mix together 1/2 bottle red wine, generous splash olive oil (about 200 ml), a tin tomatoes, 8 cloves crushed garlic, pinch of mustard, fennel and coriander seeds and some thyme. Add the pork, cool and marinate overnight.
- Cook 12 apricots in a saucepan, with the orange juice (250ml) and white wine (250ml) and two tablespoons sugar, until boiling. Remove from the heat and allow to cool overnight.
- The next day, remove the pork and transfer into an ovenproof dish. Heat up the marinade until simmering, skim off any foam and add about 500ml chicken stock. Bring up to the boil and then carefully pour over the pork, add the strained apricots and then cook at 180°C for 2 hours. Check seasoning and reduce the cooking liquor further in a saucepan before serving, if necessary.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Asian Lamb Stir-Fry: Domini Kemp
- Blackberry Pancakes: The Ketogenic Kitchen
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show