The starter in a €10 budget challenge to feed four with a two course meal!
- 8 cup vegetable stock (recipe to follow)
- 1/4 head of broccoli
- 1/2 leek (washed and diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 large spanish onion (diced)
- 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 250 ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices sliced pan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 100 g small pasta elbows
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Add the onions, carrot, celery, leeks, and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes to release the flavours. Add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, and dried thyme, bring to a boil and turn heat to low.
- Simmer for 25 minutes. Add the diced broccoli florettes and diced broccoli stem.
- Simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a sauce pot boil about 2 litres of water seasoned with salt.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Strain when ready and add this to the pasta when ready to serve.
- Top the soup with the cheesy croutons.
- Great for a cold winter's night.
- Vegetable Stock:
- 12 cups cold water
- All vegetable trimmings
- Place all ingredients into a sauce pot. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain all the vegetable trimmings and set the stock to cool.
- Cheddar Cheese Croutons:
- Cube bread to desired size. Toss with olive oil enough to coat. Add thyme, salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray in a pre heated oven at 160 degrees Celsius. Toast until golden brown 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top, set aside to cool.
More by Oscar Lai:
- Savoury Pancakes
- Homemade French Chocolate Truffles
- Vietnamese Fresh Summer Rolls and Sweet Birds Eye Chilli Dipping Sauce