Kevin Dundon is back in the kitchen to spice things up with the ladies. He shows us how to make red hot chicken.
- 1 whole chicken (about 1kg, cut up into pieces)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chips and salad to serve
- for the piri-piri sauce
- 6-12 fresh red chillies (depending on how hot you want it)
- 1 tablebspoon garlic (blanched and chopped)
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tablebspoon paprika
- 100 ml olive oil
- 50 ml apple cider
- Method for Piri Piri Marinade:
- Place the chillies on a roasting tray and roast them for 10 minutes.
- Cool and roughly chop the chillies.
- Place the chillies, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, olive oil in a bowl.
- Add half the piri-piri sauce, spreading it evenly over the chicken and leave for a half a hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6, and preheat a large griddle pan on the hob. Alternatively, light your barbecue.
- Season the marinated chicken, and cook it on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the griddled chicken to a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Alternatively, place the chicken on a medium heat barbecue, covered, for 10-15 minutes on both sides or until cooked through, basting regularly with the remaining piri-piri sauce.
- To Serve:
- With chips and salad.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon