- tuille cages:
- 50 g butter
- 100 g icing sugar
- finely grated rind of one orange
- 2 honey
- 3 large egg whites
- 100 plain flour
- additional requirements:
- freshly whipped cream
- selecton of mixed berries
- spun sugar discs
- To Make Tuille Cages:
- Cream the butter, orange zest and icing sugar together until very light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the honey and beat well until well mixed.
- Gradually add the egg whites and beat well between each addition.
- Beat the flour into the tuille mixture until thoroughly smooth.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with non stick Silone mats or baking parchment.
- Put the tuille mixture into a piping bag with a very small nozzle.
- To make each cage pipe an L shape.
- Shape each L shape into a boot and pipe some trellis detail at 45 degree angles to secure the shape.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and working quickly with a palette knife while the biscuits are still hot; gently bend them around a rolling pin into cages holding them to keep their shape… Mind your fingers!!
- To serve:
- Pipe a small amount of freshly whipped cream into the centre of your serving plate.
- Secure your cage in this cream.
- Gently fill with fresh berries and a scoop of ice cream on the top.
- Garnish with caramel discs and mint leaves.
- To Make Caramel Discs:
- In a spotlessly clean saucepan add one cup of sugar and 1 cup of water.
- Allow to come to the boil. Don’t stir at any stage.
- It will begin to turn golden brown. You need to watch it carefully as it will burn quickly at this stage.
- When it has turned golden brown plunge the base of the saucepan in cold water to stop the caramel from cooking.
- Using a dessertspoon drizzle some caramel around a piece of parchment to achieve a rounded shape. You need to work very quickly as it sets very quickly.
Kevin's warning: NB- BE VERY CAREFUL MAKING THE CARAMEL DISCS AS BOILED SUGAR CAN CAUSE FIRST, SECOND OR THIRD DEGREE BURNS IF IT MAKES CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN.