- 1 large fennel bulb
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 300 ml fresh fish stock
- 800 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 250 g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 450 g monkfish fillet (cut into 4cm chunks)
- 12 large tiger prawns (heads removed)
- 12 mussels, scrubbed
- to decorate:
- 1 tblsp chopped garlic chives
- 1 tblsp chopped lemon thyme
- extra virgin olive oil
- pimento paste (optional)
- Remove the feathery tops from the fennel bulb, roughly chop and set to one side.
- Cut the fennel lengthways into quarters, remove the core and finely chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the fennel and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Stir in the wine, stock, tinned tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the monkfish and bring back to a simmer. Stir in the prawns and mussels, cover and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the mussels have opened and the fish is cooked.
- To serve:
- Ladle the stew into 4 deep plates or bowls, scatter over the fennel tops, garlic chives and lemon thyme and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say