- 400 ml cream
- 2 tblsp dried lavender flowers
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar (plus extra 20g for caramel topping)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- Put the cream and the lavender leaves in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Then strain the cream removing the lavender.
- Next whisk the egg yolks, sugar and the vanilla until it has increased in volume and is pale in colour.
- Then add the cream gradually to this mixture, whisking all the time until it is fully blended.
- Strain this mixture through a fine sieve and divide it between the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a deep baking tray and pour in hot water until the water reaches half way up the sides.
- Then cover the baking tray loosely with tinfoil and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the brûlées are just set.
- Take care not to overcook or they will be 'tough'.
- When the brûlées have cooled, sprinkle the extra caster sugar evenly between the ramekins.
- Put the ramekins under the grill for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar starts to caramelise.
- Then remove from the heat and leave to chill while the caramel hardens.
- Serve with a Madeleine biscuit.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say