- 1 whole chicken (about 1kg/2lb 3oz, cut up into pieces)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chips and salad to serve
- for the piri-piri sauce:
- 6-12 fresh red chilies (depending on taste)
- 1 tblsp garlic (blanched and chopped)
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 100 ml olive oil
- 50 ml apple cider
- Place the chilies on a roasting tray and roast them for 10 minutes.
- Cool and roughly chop the chillies.
- Place the chillies, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, olive oil in a bowl.
- Add half the piri-piri sauce, spreading it evenly over the chicken and leave for a half a hour in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F/Gas 6), and preheat a large griddle pan on the hob. Alternatively, light your barbecue.
- Season the marinated chicken, and cook it on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the griddled chicken to a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Alternatively, place the chicken on a medium heat barbecue, covered, for 10-15 minutes on both sides or until cooked through, basting regularly with the remaining piri-piri sauce.
- To Serve: with chips and salad.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say