- 570 ml whipping cream (lightly whisked)
- 250 ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 180 ml brandy
- 60 ml dark rum
- Heat the cream and milk to just below boiling point.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs for 2-3 minutes, until very frothy. Gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and heat gently, stirring all the time with the whisk.
- Pour in the hot milk and cream.
- Add the vanilla, half the nutmeg, the brandy and rum.
- Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened and lost its eggy flavour.
- Do not allow the mixture to get too hot or it will curdle. Sprinkle with the remaining nutmeg and serve with the Irish-American Christmas pudding.