- 750 g assorted fresh mushrooms (wild or cultivated)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 150 g ready-to-eat chestnuts (crumbled)
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and pepper
- grated parmesan for serving
- rocket leaves for serving
- extra balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze for serving
- 700 ml water
- 500 ml milk
- 150 g instant/fast-cook polenta
- 1 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsp freshly grated parmesan
- Bring the water and milk to the boil in a heavy pot.
- Pour in the polenta slowly, whisking constantly.
- Swap the whisk for a wooden spoon as it thickens. Stir for 5 to 6 minutes, over gentle heat.
- Wipe the fresh mushrooms and finely slice.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan, add the garlic, mushrooms and chestnuts and toss well.
- Add the vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar, parsley, sea salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add 1 tbsp tomato puree after the 'vegetable stock' in ingredients, and add it to the method in the same place, after vegetable stock.
- To finish the polenta, add sea salt, pepper, butter and cheese, stirring.
- Spoon onto warm plates, and top with the mushrooms.
- Scatter with extra grated parmesan and rocket leaves and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say