- 1 kg cod fillets
- 50 g corn flour
- 100 ml cold soda water
- 200 g plain flour
- oil for deep frying
- 700 g potatoes
- 2 lemons (halved)
- for the tartare sauce:
- 1 tblsp capers
- 1 tblsp gherkins
- 100 ml mayonnaise
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- Whisk the flour, corn flour and soda water in a bowl and season well.
- Do not to whisk too much as you want small lumps for added texture (you can also add some ice cubes to get a really light batter).
- To make the tartare sauce, drain the capers and gherkins and chop into small chunks.
- Place in a bowl with the mayonnaise and lemon juice, season well and keep chilled in the fridge.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into large chips. Place in a pot and cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and dry with some kitchen paper.
- Then blanch the potato in hot oil at 110°C for 3-4 minutes, remove and leave to cool on some kitchen paper.
- When ready to serve, put the chips into the oil again at 200°C and cook until they are golden on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Cut the cod fillets into chunks, lightly dust with flour then dip in the batter, cook in the hot oil for about 6-8 minutes until the batter turns golden.
- Serve the fish with the chips with a garnish of tartare sauce and some lemon
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say