- 450 g plain chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 600 ml cream
- for the chocolate shards
- 50 g plain chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 50 g white chocolate
- for the chocolate ganache
- 75 g plain chocolate
- 75 ml cream (plus a little extra if necessary)
- handful halved strawberries and raspberries (to decorate)
- Melt the plain chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Leave to cool a little.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and then whisk into the melted chocolate until well combined.
- Whip the cream in a bowl until you have achieved soft peaks and then whisk into the chocolate mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Divide among 6 x 200 ml/7 fl oz round teacups that have been lined with cling film. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight is best.
- To make the chocolate shards, melt the plain chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Repeat with the white chocolate in a separate bowl. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with cling film. Spoon on blobs of the plain and white chocolate and then cover with another piece of cling film.
- Gently roll until the chocolate blobs meet and form one even layer. Place in the freezer for at least 10 minutes or up to one month is fine.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate and cream in a pan and cook gently for 1-2 minutes until melted, stirring.
- The consistency should coat the back of a wooden spoon. If you think it is too thick, add a little more cream.
- Leave to cool and use immediately or transfer to a bowl, cover with cling film and chill until needed. This will keep happily for two days in the fridge.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say