- 1.20 kg pumpkin
- 700 g bramley apple
- 600 g peeled tomato (or tinned tomatoes)
- 250 g diced onions
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 100 g sultanas
- 1 nugget of fresh ginger
- 2 tblsp sea salt
- 700 g white sugar
- 3 chopped red chilli (deseeded)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tblsp cumin, coriander, turmeric (all ground)
- pinch nutmeg
- white pepper
- 750 ml white malt vinegar
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the pulp and seeds. Cut the flesh into small even chunks. Peel the apple and core, again cut into small even chunks.
- Place all ingredients into a heavy based pot and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the mixture is thick but not too dry.
- Pour the hot chutney into warm sterilized pots seal and store.
- The chutney will mature with age, do not use for 1month minimum.
- How to use!
- With cream cheese and crackers.
- As a base for vinaigrette.
- A spoonful to finish a risotto.
- A spoonful to finish pilaf rice.
- With baked potato.
- A spread for sandwiches (cheese and ham).
- With cocktail sausages.
- A glaze for roast gammon.
- A spoonful with roast pork or duck.
- Added to a stir-fry.
- Mixed with mayonnaise for a dip or to dress beef burgers.
- To dress a vegetable salad.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say