- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 75 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 150 ml cream
- 225 g crab meat (fresh, frozen or tinned)
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 15 fingers of toast
- squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tblsp grated cheddar cheese
- to garnish: sprigs of watercress or parsley
- Melt 25g of the butter in a frying pan and fry the shallot slowly until it turns a light brown colour.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour to the pan, stirring all the time until it’s well mixed.
- Put back onto a low heat, add the cream and bring it to the boil.
- Remove immediately and let cool.
- In a small bowl, blend the remainder of the butter with the grated cheese until it forms a paste, adding enough paprika to get a good red colour.
- Spread the crab mixture on the toast fingers, and put a little of the cheese paste on top of each.
- Cut to bite size, and garnish on the serving dish with sprigs of parsley or bunches of watercress.