- 1 quantity mousse base
- 4 oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 1 tblsp rum (thereabouts, optional)
- Spread the brown bread crumbs on a baking tray and sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- Toast in a moderately hot oven, 190°C (375°F/Gas 5) for 10-15 minutes, until a good brown colour.
- The sugar should just be turning into caramel.
- Leave to cool before crumbling into the partially frozen Mousse Base for Ice Cream, together with the rum.
- Mix well with a metal spoon and return to the freezer until solid.
- You should eat this within a day or two of making, as otherwise the crumbs will gradually soften.