- 450 g cooked potatoes
- 25 g butter (melted)
- 3 tblsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 g butter (for frying)
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the melted butter and stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and press it out with your hands until it is a circle about 1cm/half inch thick.
- Using a pastry cutter (I couldn't find one, and had to use the rim of a glass) cut the mixture into rounds, about 7.5cm/3inches in diameter.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a moderate heat and, when the foam subsides, fry the potato cakes for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden.
- Lift them out with a spatula and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pile them up on a warm serving plate – they won't last long!