Rack of Pork Stuffed with Prunes, Roast Root Vegetables and Apple Sauce
A feast for the family.
- 1 rack of pork 4/8 bone
- 1 cup soaked prunes
- 1 tblsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tblsp chopped thyme
- 1 cup olive oil
- for the roast root vegetables:
- 1 onion (peeled and thickly sliced)
- 4 large carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 1 parsnip (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup baby onions (peeled)
- 50 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 125 ml white wine vinegar
- 75 ml honey
- 2 tblsp thyme sprigs
- 100ml olive oil
- for the apple purée:
- (makes about ½ pint)
- 2 crisp eating apples
- 1 tblsp sugar (optional)
- 100 ml apple juice (good quality)
- knob butter
- For the Pork:
- Make an eye in the centre of the meat and stuff with the prunes.
- Cover the rack with the oil and herbs, season.
- Seal on a hot pan both sides.
- Roast in an oven for 45/60 minutes at 180°C until cooked (juices will run clear).
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- For the Roast Vegetables:
- Over a high heat, sauté the vegetables in the olive oil using a roasting tray for 2/3 minutes.
- Season and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Roast in a hot oven at 200°C for 15/25 minutes tossing occasionally.
- For the Apple Purée:
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Place in a pan with the sugar and apple juice.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer.
- Remove from heat, whisk in butter until you have achieved a smooth puree.
- Pass through a fine sieve if necessary.
- Leave to cool, then chill in a bowl covered with cling film.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say