The perfect cake for your afternoon cup of tea!
- cake mixture:
- 225 g sticks butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self raising flour (or plain flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder)
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F/Gas 4).
- Soften the butter and beat in a large mixing bowl with the sugar.
- Stir in the lemon zest at this stage also.
- When this mixture is creamy and fluffy add in the eggs and the flour.
- If you find the mixture is a little tight you can add a dessertspoon of milk to loosen it up.
- Transfer to an 8 inch/20 cm deep cake tin or two sandwich tins if you prefer.
- Bake for up to 30-40 minute or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. If you are using the sandwich tins you will need to allocate less time as the cake will be thinner.
- Allow to cool.
- Make up the topping.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice with the icing sugar and drizzle over the top of the cake.
- If the drizzle is not loose enough in consistency add a tiny amount of hot water and beat that into the mixture to achieve a running consistency.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show