This potato dish is brilliant in its simplicity and versatility; it's delicious eaten by itself or as an accompaniment to your favourite dish!
- 2-3 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed and roughly chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (whole)
- 1 tsp dry (kashmiri) red chilli flakes
- a couple of handfuls of dried methi (fenugreek) leaves
- 1 medium tomato (de-seeded and diced)
- 2-3 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces or diced, my favourites are the roosters for this)
- 250 ml water
- sauce dressing
- 100 ml crème fraiche
- small handful of fresh coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
- ½ lemon (juice and zest)
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, place on a medium heat and add the oil and gently heat.
- Add the garlic and fry until a light nutty brown colour.
- Then, add the cumin seeds, chilli flakes, salt, turmeric and gently fry for a couple more minutes
- Add the chopped tomato, stir, turn down the heat, add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the water and cook for about 5mins on a medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- Add methi leaves and continue to cook on a medium flame until the potatoes are just done and the water is fully absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the potatoes in paper cup with a wooden fork and good dollop of sauce….enjoy!
More by Arun Kapil:
- Arun Kapil's Slow Cooked Rabbit recipe, Today Show
- Irish Rarebit on Soda Bread
- Buttered Chicken (Arun's Murgh Oudhi)